Re: [CQ-Contest] Canadian Sect. and Mult. Confusion

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Canadian Sect. and Mult. Confusion
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 07:34:32 -0600
On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:43:43PM -0500, R Johnson wrote:
> Below are the extracts from the ARRL sponsored contests showing the CAN
> multipliers.
> These are taken from the Contest Rules on the ARRL Web Site.
>
> This lack of consistency is creating much confusion amongst Contesters and
> the Authors
> of Contest Programs.
>
> I fail to see why we can not use the use the 13 multipliers as defined by the
> standard CAN Postal abbreviations.
> NS (VE1), QC (VE2), ON (VE3), MB (VE4), SK (VE5), AB (VE6), BC (VE7), NT
> (VE8), NB (VE9)
> NL (VO1,VO2), NU (VY?), YT (VY1), PE (VY2).

All those different contest exchanges, too - the lack of consistency
from contest to contest creates much confusion amongst contesters -
I can't tell you how many times I've started to say "59 Texas" when
I meant to say "59 Ken" or "59 4."  I fail to see why we can not use
the 40 zones defined by the CQ standard for all contests.  It sure
would be nice for all the logging programs to be able to to use common
definitions to facilitate moving data between each other.

> Other contests such as RAC Canada Day, RAC Winter and NCJ's NAQP and Sprint
> all use
> the 10 Provinces and 3 Territories to give 13 multipliers.
>
> The League seems to be out of step with everyone else (MY opinion) !!!!
> While they as the Contest Sponsors, can define things the way they want, but
> it sure would
> nice for all the logging programs to be able to be able to use common
> definitions to
> facilitate moving data between each other.
>
> 73
> Bob, K1VU
> ARRL 10M 2003 (14 CAN Multipliers Defined)
> 5.2.2. Canada [NB (VE1, 9), NS (VE1), QC (VE2), ON (VE3), MB (VE4), SK (VE5),
> AB (VE6), BC (VE7), NWT (VE8), NF, (VO1), LB (VO2)], YT (VY1), PEI (VY2) NU
> (VY?).

> ARRL 160M 2003 (Nothing Defined)
> 5.2.1. Northern Territory (NT) multiplier includes the Northwest (NWT), Yukon
> (VY1) and Nunavut (VY0) territories.
> Could be 9 Mults where MAR=NB,NS,PEI + NT=NT,NU,NW + NL=NF,LA PLUS
> QC,ON,MB,SK,AB,BC
> OR
> Could be 11 mults where NT=NT,NU,NW + NL=NF,LA PLUS NS,QC,ON,MB,SK,AL,BC,NB,PE
>   OR
> Could be 12 mults where NT=NT,NU,NW PLUS NS,QC,ON,MB,SK,AL,BC,NB,NL,LA,PE

> ARRL Field Day 2003
> nothing directly defined That I could find easily)

> ARRL International DX 2004 (14 CAN Multipliers Defined)
> 5.2.2. DX stations: Sum of US states (except KH6/KL7), District of Columbia
> (DC), and Canadian provinces/territories: NB (VE1, 9), NS (VE1), QC (VE2), ON
> (VE3), MB (VE4), SK (VE5), AB (VE6), BC (VE7), NWT (VE8), NF (VO1), LB (VO2),
> NU (VY0), YT (VY1), PEI (VY2) worked per band (maximum of 63 per band).

> ARRL November SS 2003 (Nothing Defined)
> 5.1. Multiplier: Each ARRL Section and RAC Section plus the Canadian NT
> (Northern Territories - encompassing VE8 / VY1 / VY0) with a maximum number
> of 80.
>
> 5.2. Final score: Multiply QSO points (two per QSO) by the number of ARRL/RAC
> sections (plus NT VE8/VY1/VY0).
>

> Could be 9 Mults where MAR=NB,NS,PEI + NT=NT,NU,NW + NL=NF,LA PLUS
> QC,ON,MB,SK,AB,BC
> OR
> Could be 11 mults where NT=NT,NU,NW + NL=NF,LA PLUS NS,QC,ON,MB,SK,AL,BC,NB,PE
>   OR
> Could be 12 mults where NT=NT,NU,NW PLUS NS,QC,ON,MB,SK,AL,BC,NB,NL,LA,PE

> ARRL RTTY Roundup 2004 (14 CAN Multipliers Defined)
> 5.2. Multipliers: Each US state (except KH6 and KL7) plus the District of
> Columbia (DC), Canadian provinces/territories: NB (VE1, 9), NS (VE1), QC
> (VE2), ON (VE3), MB (VE4), SK (VE5), AB (VE6), BC (VE7), NWT (VE8), NF (VO1),
> LB (VO2), NU (VY?), YT (VY1), PEI (VY2) and each DXCC country. KH6 and KL7
> count only as separate DXCC countries

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops