[CQ-Contest] Rewired brains

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Rewired brains
From: "Art Boyars" <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:13:54 -0500
K8MR said "I ... think that ours have adapted to listening to weak signals
amongst lots of QRM and QRN, in a way that those of non-contesting hams have
not.  It would be fascinating to see how the brains of contesters vs.
non-contesters vs. non-hams behave as they process chaotic sound information."

One data point.  As my hearing got weaker -- especially the notch at 4KHz --
about 10 years ago I went for an audiogram.  I had absolutely no trouble
hearing the pure tones -- I'm even sure I got the call signs!  But on the
spoken word tests I sure could tell where my loss was.  That might not be sound
(oops!) like scientific proof, but billions of tax dollars have been expended
on weaker evidence.  I always wondered if long term active ham radio
contributed to my reduction in auditory capacity.  And nowadays I can't copy
SSB worth a darn (and ask the other W3LPL op's how loud I run the audio for
CW!).  Maybe that has something to do with my preference for CW over 'phone.

OTOH, K1JX once mentioned hearing (oops, again!) from a mental health nurse
about some communications disorder that was more prevalent among hams,
especially CW operators,  than in the general population.  Anybody know
anything about that?

73, Art K3KU