Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: [SECC] DX Participation in NAQP Contests

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: [SECC] DX Participation in NAQP Contests
From: <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 9:57:24 -0500
>On 21 Jan 2004 at 20:45, Jeffrey D Clarke wrote:

> How about a both a high and low power class for NA too ??

>Could we also get hi and low power multi-single and multi-
>muliti in addition to the multi-2?  And a tribander & wire
>category would be good too.  Actually, since I don't have a
>160 antenna, could we have a non-160 class?  Maybe some
>interest in single-band entries too.

>Sorry, I got carried away...

  I don't see the problem with having multiple classes... With the computer
checking we have it shouldn't be a big deal....  They have different levels
in other sports - like auto racing - why not radio contesting too ??
Besides the person who wins the most elite class - SOHP - will still get all
the recognition they get now....

> Besides , the stations who always make the top ten in
> NAQP are the same who regularly operate from big stations
> that make the top ten in  HP in SS too... By letting them
> run high power they can make even more QSO's...

>And screw up the bands so that people with smaller
>stations, such as you and I, have even less chance at a
>decent frequency.  See, that's one of the really nice
>things about NAQP...little guys have better shots at good
>frequencies!

>I choose to run low power for financial and other reasons.
>I'm just glad there are as many contests that have low
>power categories as there are.  But the best is the NAQP,
>where everyone has to run low power!

>Or, my favorite idea:  Limit power output to 100w maximum
>for everyone in all contests.  I can work anywhere in the
>world with 100w, so why should we need more power for
>contesting?  Then I can see how my operating and station
>*really* stack up.

  Sorry Lee... but running 100 watts with wire antennas is not the same as
running 100 watts at a station with multiple stacked yagis... I would favor
maybe a tribander or wire class in addition to what we have now.....

> Sorry I'm not crying sour grapes but I would prefer to
> compete against those guys who normally choose to do SOLP
> , because they have a smaller station like me, instead of
> a guy at a large station who I have no chance against...

>How about the time you really have things going right, and
>make a record low power score, only to find out that N5TJ
>decided to go low power that year using attic
>antennas...and beat you by 2X??

 Jeff is a good operator but not that good !!!!