RE: [CQ-Contest] Wireless headphones?

To: <w2up@mindspring.com>, "CQ-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Wireless headphones?
From: "Jeff Maass" <jmaass@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:58:28 -0500
Barry:

I like the now-discontinued Sony RF940R 900 MHz
headphones. They are still popping up on ebay,
and I've bought my last three pairs for between
$25 and $35. Biggest problem with these are the
earpads, which fall to pieces after a few years,
but that makes them bargains on the resale market.
Replacement pads are available from Sony, or can
be salvaged from old headphones.

The reason I like them more than the newer Sonys
is that they use AA batteries, which can be
replaced quickly. All the new Sony wireless
headphones have internal rechargable batteries
that must be rested on a charger for an hour or
more when the batteries go flat. I don't usually
have an hour in the middle of a contest. Also, the
transmitter unit is black and a bit bigger than
a hockey puck, and can sit nicely on top of a
transceiver.

I like them when at a multi-op and off-shift, so
I can follow the action while wandering about.
They're good in those long 160m contests when CQing
in the "dog hours", when there is time to run to
the kitchen or bathroom between answers.

Range is very good, and I've also used them to
listen while debugging my Beverage relay switching
box, and while cutting grass and gardening.

73,

  Jeff Maass  K8ND

  Caribbean Contesting Consortium - PJ2T
        http://www.pj2t.org