[CQ-Contest] Secrets of contesting - - -

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of contesting - - -
From: "Scott R." <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 07:33:49 -0800 (PST)
N6TJ wrote:

>2. MINIMIZE DUPES. Nothing's more of a waste of time. Figure it out,
>please............

>3. Never, ever, call a station unless you know 100% his callsign.
>Ever. (please see 1. and 2., above).  It's truly amazing to me HOW
>MANY call without a clue.  Is this sound operating?  I think not.

How about from the DX side - never, ever let more than two QSO's pass
without sending your callsign.  That way, I won't have to blindly
call you.  When I operated PJ2T at 200+ an hour on CW in the '02 WW,
I sent my call after every contact.  What's so hard?

>Yes, the DX station
>has the ultimate responsibility to identify on a regular basis.  In
>that there are no defined standards, I can well appreciate that some
>'ambiguities' might exist.  However, I believe that unless YOUR rate
>is 200+ per hour, it is your responsibility to harken to the DX
>station's operating procedure.  Please, if you don't like it, don't
>call.  Simple.

You don't ID - I will wait one or MAXIMUM two QSO's before I'm gonna
call you to see if I have worked you.  If I have, then we both get a
dupe.  You lose a valid contact you would have made in that time space
(see your #2 above - you have caused this, in this situation), I lose
some time both waiting for and then duping you that I could have used
working someone else.

It's lose/lose when the DX station will not ID.  I am unconvinced by
any argument otherwise.

Scott W4PA

=====
Visit the Tennessee Contest Group - www.k4ro.net/tcg.html