[CQ-Contest] Lost leading "dit" - both sides

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Lost leading "dit" - both sides
From: "Scott R." <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 07:29:28 -0800 (PST)
Someone wrote to me privately:

>[Scott] I think the "lost leading dit" problem that Brett is
>referring to is the problem of losing the first character
>of the callsign of stations calling YOU after a CQ.  If
>the QSK delay is adjusted to be long enough so the amplifier
>doesn't drop out between letters, it also doesn't drop out
>after a CQ is completed.  He is not talking about the
>"leading dit" from the transmitter.  That is a different
>issue entirely.

Ah, OK - I got ahead of myself.  I thought we were discussing
hot-switching linear amplifiers and the need to PTT control them to
avoid losing the beginning of a CW transmission.

If I am running semi- or non-QSK I always just adjust the QSK delay and
amp hang time so that it doesn't quite drop out during CQ's and then
instantly releases after the end of my CQ.  I haven't ever experienced
the "missing dit" on incoming callsigns when I am CQing.  I just adjust
QSK delay and/or amp hang time so the transmission ends at the end of
my CQ and then I respond to the caller.  Other times, I run total full
break-in and this is even more of a non-issue.

Scott Robbins, W4PA

=====
Visit the Tennessee Contest Group - www.k4ro.net/tcg.html

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools