[CQ-Contest] Elecraft, TenTec & contesting radios

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Elecraft, TenTec & contesting radios
From: "Bob Schreibmaier" <k3ph@ptd.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 16:46:43 -0500
I have used serial number 2552 and must agree with Bill.
It has the right architecture to be an excellent receiver,
but the filters are not good enough.  I have also found
the opposite sideband rejection to not be quite up to
many other radios.

However, the biggest problem I have with the radio is the size.
The tuning knob is way too small, plus there are additional
controls close by on its left, getting in the way when
you're trying to tune.  Even the micro-sized radios from
Yaecomwood don't have other knobs getting in the way when
you tune.

I also don't like the fact that the sideband used on CW
is different on some bands.  It's annoying when you're
used to the pitch of signals going in one direction as
you tune each band and then finding different behavior on
the K2.  There is a "reverse" switch, but I don't think
one should have to use it when changing bands.  Of course,
a software revision could take care of this.

Overall, the receiver is very good in the presence of
strong signals (until you get very close, as Bill noted).
I very much like the single-conversion approach.  It
would be nice if they had the ability to use at least
one 8-pole filter and, preferably, the ability to
cascade two 8-pole filters (like the old TS-180S).
That, plus the judicious use of DSP could make for
really nice basic receiver performance.

I haven't used a K2 on phone, but have been told that
the VOX gain is inadequate (sometimes) and that it
needs an anti-VOX control (that it doesn't have).
I've also been told that the 100-watt version folds
back power with SWR too quickly for some tastes.
As mine is just the basic 10-watt 80-10 meter,
CW only radio, I can't verify these complaints.

72/73,

| Bob Schreibmaier K3PH | E-mail: k3ph@ptd.net |
| Kresgeville, PA 18333 | http://www.dxis.org  |