RE: [CQ-Contest] saving us from ourselves

To: "Mike Fatchett" <mike@mallardcove.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] saving us from ourselves
From: "Hanlon, Steve" <SHanlon@dnr.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 07:38:37 -0500
> I caught myself trying to work stations on 20 while
> transmitting on 40.  At least I was in band!

don't feel bad, i did this the morning after working 40m.  i forgot the radio
was set to split and for the life of me could not figure out why the VI station
couldn't hear me.  a loud 4 letter word was heard by the XYL as i realized my
error.  i checked the 40m freq to see if i needed to apologize, but luckily it
was clear (to me).

the main reason that happened was the placement of the radio and the computer
monitor.  i'm switching to a laptop for my contest logging as is takes up much
less space and looks good above the radio.  i also have an index card with the
band edges minus the side band and a tad extra for good measure.  the index
card now sports the words CHECK SPLIT DUMBY!

CQ-Contest mailing list