Re: [CQ-Contest] Splqdecripity

To: "JAMES HEADRICK" <w3cp@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Splqdecripity
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:53:45 -0500
At 07:37 AM 3/10/04 +0000, W3CP wrote:
Bob, I have a similar problem and it is bad enough to discourage operating
in fone contests.  I believe the trouble is my severe loss of hearing at the
higher audio frequencies.  When I ask "please give your callsign slowly" the
callsign generally becomes readable.  There may be a message here for the
speach speed artists.

I have pretty decent hearing, so far, and had the same trouble. There was one guy whose "two" was indistinguishable from "zero", and it didn't even seem to be speed, but rather a case of not enough emphasis on the "ooo" sound. I think so long as English is used, ops whose English is accented need to be aware of this problem, particularly in the case of numbers, which are not phoneticized.

73, Pete N4ZR Check out the World HF Contest Station Database Updated 8 Mar 04 -- 2671 stations listed www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm