Re: [CQ-Contest] Splqdecripity

To: "cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Splqdecripity
From: "Bob Gates" <regates@kingwoodcable.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:03:13 -0600

I hear what you're saying re: Tip #1.  In this particular case, he was mentioned
three times so I felt fairly comfortable.  For the most part, I didn't bother to
read the cluster at all because, once spotted, a rare station would have a
gazillion people already descending on him.  I pretty much just scanned the band
to find stations I hadn't worked.  As it was, I pretty well worked almost every
station I could hear over about S5.  That's S9 +20 for the rest of you.

Regarding your Tip #2, however, if I gave up after 30-60 seconds I wouldn't have
worked anybody.  Must admit, however, that I took over an hour and a half to
work Marti Laine (op from EA8BH) on 80 meters.  Every few minutes he would
change his listening frequency.  I'd speed dial to the new freq. and just knew I
was the first one there.  Not to be.  I'm willing to bet he heard me, but just
wanted to see how many times he could get me to change freqs.  I finally wore
him out, and I'm willing to bet he came back just to get rid of me.

In all seriousness, though, it was a delight listening to him manage a
frequency.  He'd QRZ and pick up three or four complete or partial calls.  Then
he'd work through each of them at almost a leisurely pace.  Then another QRZ to
pick up a few more.  Any new contester who wants to learn how to operate a
contest would be well served to take the time to just sit and listen to him for
a while.  The man is a master, and I was delighted to work him for a four band

73, Bob W7BJ