Re: [CQ-Contest] IC7800 -

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IC7800 -
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:44:19 +0000
K1EP suggested a possible way to do diversity reception with the IC7800:

Icom radios using the CI-V bus in the past could always be linked. I wonder if that could be done through the CI-V? Probably not, as the individual receivers don't have separate addresses and there is only one CI-V per 7800.

Slaving two radios has been possible with all the ICOMs with native CI-V support that
I've seen. Such slaving is also possible with the CI-V module for ICOMs that came
out before CI-V was introduced.

In ICOM-speak, that's "transceive" - the same thing that can muck up logging programs
as it makes the rig generate data on the CI-V bus when the operator does something
to the rig like spin the VFO knob.

My memory is fading, as all my ICOMs are dead & are from the early days of CI-V,
but later rigs allow one to set the CI-V address as one wishes, so the problem I see
in slaving two 7800s is more financial than technical.

If the 7800 CI-V's implementation doesn't support the 4-byte frequency format used
only on the 735, then in theory one could use something like a 751A to address the
financial aspect (just watch out for the 751A or other rig being set for 4-byte mode).

Since Ten-Tec uses CI-V commands, it might be possible to use an OMNI-6, too.

But the biggest problem with this workaround is that one would loose the ability to
have a logging program interfaced with the radio, as I believe nobody has added
support for CI-V used as a bus (requires implementation of CDMA/CD in the logging
program - yuck ;^).

73, VR2BrettGraham