Re: [CQ-Contest] Post contest thoughts...

To: Contest Reflector <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Post contest thoughts...
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 12 Mar 2004 08:25:31 -0600
On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 06:28, Randy Thompson, K5ZD wrote:
> - Why don't the Carribbean expeditions transmit above 7100?  There were some
> clear frequencies around 7101-7102 and 7106 that would have been out of the
> European QRM and still easy to locate for those of us listening down.  OA4SS
> was on 7102 for awhile and he was much easier to copy there than when he was
> down in the mess.

Last time I tried running DX on 40SSB (admittedly a LONG time ago!) I
explicitly stated I was listening on both a frequency below 7100 *and*
my transmit frequency.  A handful of VKs and a few folks in the
Caribbean called on my transmit frequency.

> - Is the ARRL contest too long?  48 hours is better than 2 weekends, but
> would 24 hours be even better?  As it is now, there are only a few
> competitors at the top of each category.  Everyone else is in participant
> class.  Would shortening the contest enable more guys to compete seriously
> (i.e. be on for the whole contest)?  Or is this "contest" run as a DX/WAS
> chasing promotional activity?

Personally, I think so.  Though F5VHJ has a valid point about the risks
of bad propagation.  I think the answer is to leave the contest period
as it is but require more offtime.  Operate 36, 30, or 24 hours out of a
48-hour period.
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66

CQ-Contest mailing list