Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Test

To: cainjim@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Test
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:06:17 EST
In a message dated 3/15/2004 9:59:04 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
cainjim@mindspring.com writes:

> The high band/low band categories were instituted when I was arrl "contest
> editor" (actually, "assistant communications manager") in 1975 or 1976 (and
> was an active competitor). I am pretty sure this was my original idea, but it
> may have come from someone on the Contest Advisory Committee or elsewhere. I
> thought it was a good idea to boost participation then, and I still think so
> now.

Hi Jim;

Yup...I recall your involvement. I was on CAC (K8HLR back then) for two terms
in the mid-late 70s and although it wasnt my idea I strongly supported it.
Many of the guys back then had fairly average low band setups but decent high
band ones, OR vice-versa. Hardly ever both for the average compeitior. I wish I
could recall who in the committee really spurred it on but I do recall a late
night CAC session at Dayton going over the ramifications.

You were our HQ support!

73,Bob K8IA
Mesa, Arizona USA
near the Superstition Mtns