Re: [CQ-Contest] Fragmenting and cheapening contests.

To: Russell Hill <rustyhill@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fragmenting and cheapening contests.
From: "S. Markowski Jr." <km9m-zig@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:17:03 +0000
This is getting to be like comparing apples and oranges.

It was said these "shorter races" were "sometimes" run in conjunction with the marathon. There currently are no "shorter contests" that run in conjunction with "The Marathon" Contests. These are separate races you're referring to, not a "mini-version" of the Marathon. Even if you have a 5K races........ everyone travels the same 5K, to the same clock. How in the heck do you have a "5K" contest that's fair and equitable? Too many variables: propagation being the big one, sleep /time-off periods of the Big, Single-Op stations. No way to even it out in a short period. You compete against more than a clock in a contest, and I don't know of any "Mult's" in a Marathon race.

In almost every contest , I miss approximately 26 hrs due to my job's shift schedule other than when I'm on vacation. I just deal with it. I don't have a Contest Station at home..... Me competing on a level keel with the stations(and ops) of WB9Z, N9RV, K9ZO, ( many others) not to mention the east and west coast Super Stations gives me about the same chance of winning the contest, whether a marathon or a "shorty", as I do beating the Kenyan Guy who has been winning most of the Marathon's lately.

Now to consider the work involved by the contest sponsors, log checkers, software guys.....Extra classes, more T-shirts (prizes for winners/participants)...who's going to flip the bill for this? Most organizations are already operating on very tight budgets. Where's the money going to come from? I haven't seen corporate sponsorships line up for ham radio contests, as they do for the Marathons. What's the entrance fee to be able to "participate" in a big marathon? I don't know of any ham contests that require a fee to participate in. How many people would participate in a contest if there were fees to enter? I'd bet there would be quite a bit less than now.

This is not meant to flame anyone. The major contests are just that...Major Contests! (Marathons) If they are too long to operate in them, and your only intention is to Win the contest....It is not going to happen, don't enter. I think (self included), most who enter (or at least are on the air for), know they are not going to Win, but choose to play anyway. Compete against yourself (previous best score, more hrs in chair, competing against similarly situated stations, etc.) I DO get frustrated operating from home...... but I've also gotten frustrated during big runs in V2. Stuff happens. I like to compete..... play radio, have a good time...... I can't play football anymore, retirement from work is closing in. I never ran in a marathon.......was never interested in it. I can Contest/or play radio darn near anytime, regardless of how bad knees or any other body part I've abused are acting up... In those conditions, I wouldn't even rate a "spectator" at the Boston or Chicago Marathons. Apples and Oranges....
73,
Zig KM9M

Russell Hill wrote:

Actually, they have 400M, 800M, Mile, 5K,etc, sometimes run in conjunction
with the Marathon.  Not everyone has the real estate, budget, time
resources, cooperative family or job, or whatever else to focus on
Marathons.  If the only T-shirts awarded were to the Marathon participants,
there would be a lot less activity.

I do not get the impression that the Marathon participants are upset when
someone wins a prize in a 5 or 10K "Fun Run".

73,
Rusty, na5tr

----- Original Message ----- From: <K3BU@aol.com> To: <cq-contest@contesting.com> Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 10:06 PM Subject: [CQ-Contest] Fragmenting and cheapening contests.

In a message dated 3/17/04 1:07:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,