[CQ-Contest] Ultra Comfy GLASSES / PHONES

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Ultra Comfy GLASSES / PHONES
From: K7bv@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:48:11 EST
I, too, have had to live with post-contest bruised ears because I have worn
glassed since the 2nd grade of elementary school.

Although my Heil gear still serves as primary equipment for my contest and
DXpedition operating, I now switch to Starline Electronics Int'l
http://www.gis.net/~starline/  Headphones (no mic) for long CW-only operating
sessions.

I first used them in the 2003 CW SS and then again a few weeks ago for 45
hours (one 3 hour break) as VP5M.  Frankly, I was stunned when both contests
were
over and I realized that I felt absolutely no ear discomfort. I initially
found that the ear cushions were a bit nontraditional in appearance and feel.
But, I found that design cut out nearly all background room noise and, although
feeling "firm," they readily formed around the wire frame leading to my ear.

I am not a techie kinda guy but I understand that each earpiece has a
separate woofer and tweeter. Their website says this means that the 'phones
employ a
"coaxial twin-speaker system."  As a plug and play operator, I can only say
that with the lowered background distraction and speaker design they use, I do
hear the sigs down in and near the noise threshold quite nicely.

I expect to still use my Heil headset/mic for the majority of my operating
but these Starline jewels will now travel with me as well.

73,
Dennis K7BV/1