[CQ-Contest] 50 A ps test load

To: <redailey@alltel.net>, "cq contest" <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 50 A ps test load
From: "Dick Frey" <k4xu@bendcable.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:02:15 -0800

The way it's done professionally is with an active load. That's just a big
transistor or two on a heatsink with an opamp to control the gate voltage or
base current to keep the load current constant. 30A at 13V is less than

I run my 2x Omni 6 SO2R station on one 30A Astron linear PS located on a
shelf under my operating table. A small 12V fan and a 80C Klix-on thermostat
keep it cool but there's lots of free air circulation under the table - the
back edge is 6" from the wall. The heatsink hangs over the rear edge of the

Dick Frey    k4xu

CQ-Contest mailing list