Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Sprint is a good idea

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Sprint is a good idea
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:35:02 -0600
On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 12:12:28AM -0500, Nat Heatwole wrote:

> Anyway, this discussion is really more appropriate for TowerTalk, not
> CQ-Contest, but I think KQ2M really encapsulated my point when he said:
> "hills are good, salt water is better, anywhere you can put up stacks is
> the best."

No - living closer to your target area is the key.

Most DX contests require a lot of contacts with Europe - for
two reasons:
- There are a lot of countries in Europe.
- There are a lot of radio ops in Europe.

So being closer to Europe makes a huge difference,
more difference during the course of a contest weekend
than any antenna.

I have used a lot of big antennas (even stacks of them) over the years
from here in Texas.  I currently live on very good hill.  Neither of
these things are better for working Europe than living closer to

QTH selection tip:

Given the choice between living on a hill with sloping
foreground in front of the antennas and having stacked
antennas I will take the hill - it is much better than
stacked antennas any day of the week.

George Fremin III - K5TR

CQ-Contest mailing list