Re: Re: [CQ-Contest] The good old U.S. holiday weekend contest debate

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Re: [CQ-Contest] The good old U.S. holiday weekend contest debate
From: "Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO)" <frugoli@worldlinkisp.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:22:02 -0500
> > Why should the contests be changed
> > just because it's a holiday in the US?
> >
> > 73 Darrell AB2E
>
> Maybe because the sponsors are U.S. organizations.
>
> 73,
> Nat WZ3AR

Let's not loose the focus on this one guys.  This is a good topic, worthy of
good discussion.

Here's some thoughts on why it can't be changed (none of which I believe by the
way):

1 - just plain old inertia - it's hard to convince people to do CW in October
when they've always done it in November
2 - since the propigation IS slightly different, would all the old records be
thrown out?  Would new records have to be recorded with an asterisk?  Would
there be 2 sets of records, one for CW in Oct, and one for CW in Nov and vice
versa?
3 - again, since participation will be different, what about the records
4 - has a formal proposal actually been made to CQ to alternate the weekends -
if we don't request it, there's no way they know there is support for it

And as an aside, why are we only talking about WW/WPX CW and SSB, what about
the two RTTY modes of those contests?  Neither falls on a holiday weekend but
they are major contests as well.  Maybe there should be a 3 year rotation, not
just a flip/flop every other year.

73 de Al, KE1FO