Re: [CQ-Contest] ANOTHER SMELLY SUBJECT

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ANOTHER SMELLY SUBJECT
From: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:14:33 +0200
There are (at least) two major problems these days.
1. More and more people doesnt understand how to operate
   a SSB transmitter.
2. Our modern radios has far to inefficient ALC control,
   or better put, radios (and amplifiers) can by an operator
   that doesnt understand be heavily overdriven.

Back in the 70-ties you simply couldnt do this with the most
common radios, forexample Drake and Collins gear, even if you
turned every knob you could find wide open you simply couldnt
do it.

Since the splatter problem is so bad these days, and getting
worse and worse, I rather would like to see some action to make
it better. I am pritty sure that if the splattering guys would
get some kind of penalty they somehow or another would clean up
their act.

73 Jim SM2EKM

jukka.klemola@nokia.com wrote:

You guys dont get it... its not the extra 10db that is going to bring the
callers , is the extra 10db for keeping stations away at least 4khz from
them.
That way no splattering happens to their calling frequencies... Its not
about regulations, its about killing the bands with interference
that in fact is very malicious in nature and keeps hundreds of even
thousands of amateurs from joining contests.
These guys dont care and even worse they dont hear....

I do not care if someone has a clean 2.2 kW transmitter as
long as the TX is clean.

What I hate is some guys having a clean 2.1 kW transmitter
and pushing the exciter to 10W more, creating wider spectrum
with amplified 2.1 kW on the fundamental frequency and some
20W-50W on plus minus 15 kHz...

Just for the sake of  making their Plate and Grid current
meters show a bit more overdrive !

I repeat: Even 6dB more does not create wider spectrum to TX signal. Our receivers are good enough to filter the fundamental when we tune a bit off-frequency.

But when the guy with the TX makes the fundamental error
with driving the amp, or with any part of the amp, case is
he throws his signal plus minus whatever.

--------------------------------------------------------------- The world's top contesters battle it out in Finland! THE OFFICIAL FILM of WRTC 2002 now on professional DVD and VHS! http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~jamesb/ ---------------------------------------------------------------