Re: [CQ-Contest] W4AN SK

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] W4AN SK
From: Steve Root <steve.root@culligan4water.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:27:34 +0100
I never had a chance to meet Bill.  I never shook his hand, I never heard
him laugh, I never sat down and had a cold one with him.

I did work him hundreds of times in contests.  I did have inumerable 4
minute Q's before a contest, those 2350Z "How's my signal, hope you do well,
see you all three" type contacts.  On several occasions we did have a nice
chat low in the CW band somewhere.  I heard him a lot ragchewing with DX on
80 meters, DX that I could never hear.  We exchanged e-mails over the years,
messages I should have carefully saved as Bill always was willing to help
and share what he knew.  I knew it was Bill by his fist, that nice crisp way
he had of sending CW.

I never had a chance to meet Bill.  But I knew him, and he knew me.

I guess that's one of those things that makes this hobby  so very special.

RIP Bill.  I'll be thinkiing of you at 2350Z.

73 Steve K0SR