Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Score Repository

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Score Repository
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:32:15 EDT
WM3T writes:
>My thinking was to create a place where trending would be easier for any
station that has entered data into the database.  Personally, I would like to
have a place I could look and get information and notes from past NAQP's or PA
QSO Parties.  I would enter the data after the contest so I could go back at a
later date and view the information to develop strategies for the upcoming
contest.<<

My 1 cent opinion:
I think the best source of data on past operations are the record tables.
That is something that is a target for us to shoot for. For me, the highest
achievement in contesting is beating or establishing the world or any other
(country, call area) record. This is, for a while anyway, the reflection of
one's
ability to make significant mark in historical perspective.

The next best thing (at least) is to win particular category in world,
continent, country, area. That is similar to other sports. You have records,
you
have races. Sometimes when you win the race, you might also establish new
record
which is the ultimate.

Part of planing the next operation is looking at the old record tables,
seeing the potentially "weak" scores "begging" for fixing and planning the
location, station setup and preparing for the assault. The record tables are
the best
source of that information. The next thing is to look up the particular
contest past results and do more detailed analysis to see how it all jives with
sunspot cycle, propagation trends, ham population distribution, etc.

I use to do in-depth analyses like that. I "figured out" exactly how I have
to do in the next contest. I "knew" exactly how many QSO and multipliers I have
to make, prepared breakdown by the hours, got all charged up, food service on
the side, pitt stops planned for breaks in propagation, it was just question
of doing it. But then mother propagation threw the monkey wrench in the whole
planning and execution of the strategy. Instead of those 300 QSO in the first
hour, I would make some 30 and the whole strategy was out of the window.
Frustration set in and it was no more fun operating the rest of it, looks like
record will not be broken, what a waste?

After few "runs" like that I changed my approach to contesting. I would look
at the records and past results, decide what was an "easy" target, got things
ready and went in with "strategy" to do the best I can, but mainly have fun
doing it. No more frustration and quite often surprises of doing well or coming
on the top. It was more of - if things didn't work out, well, it is to be
expected, can't fix propagation. If things fell all in line, it would bring
occasional #1 spot or even record. Then it was occasion for extra nice "contest
dinner" for family and nice cigar (and wait for trophy :-).

So the lesson was, studying the past records and results is helpful in
deciding what category to enter and to plan that next operation, but no more
figuring out what I "have to do". The thing is not to give up when things don't
go
smooth and according to plan. It is probably the same for the rest of them. The
key is to persist till the last minute, because contests are won by working
one more than the rest.

So for me, valuable are the record tables and past results. I think contest
sponsors should have complete past OFFICIAL contest results and records on the
Internet, with delays if they insist. There is no reason for any contest or
QSO party sponsor not to have complete results and records posted on their
webs,
best in the spreadsheet format (Xcel?) so we can do our own analysis and
massaging of data. Database of "everything" would be nice, if not too much, if
anyone can take care of it (how useful are the unofficial, reported scores?).
But
it will not be the recipe for winning. Fortunately or not, the big
"controller" of the results is the propagation and station activities from
particular
areas of the world. (Not including biased scoring systems.)

My latest strategy after years of slugging it out is to pick the "weak"
record, gear up the best I can under circumstances and then go like hell till
the
2359 gong. Send the log, wait for results (and occasional trophy). Much less
stress and much more enjoyment. If I get beaten, I figure out why and learn for
the next one.

Wonderful part of contesting are those many variables that are involved.
Those who manage master the most, get to be on the top, or close to it. It
takes
more than just "throwing the money" or power at it (you need to go south too
:-) Every contest is a new adventure and opportunity to show what we can do,
what have we learned and we "get sorted" by the points we managed to accumulate.

Stay clean, signal and power wise, enjoy the best part of ham radio and let
others too.

Yuri, K3BU.us