RE: [CQ-Contest] XML Contest File Standard Discussion

To: "'Lee Buller'" <k0wa@swbell.net>,"'CQcontest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] XML Contest File Standard Discussion
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:19:36 -0400

> It just seems to me that the world is going XML and maybe ham
> radio should be too.  Of course we would all have to agree on
> the definitions.  It seems to me that XML files make sense to
> the world wide community of hams since it is becoming a
> datafile standard.

There is nothing wrong with XML.  However, ADIF for all its faults
does the job reasonably well at the present time.  Some of the
proposed extensions in ADIF 2.0 (e.g, the <APP_xxxxxx:nn>
syntax for application specific fields) already in use by LotW
and several of the logging programs, have provided additional
capabilities.  Still, ADIF is rooted in xBase technology.

If you really feel XML is necessary as opposed to continued
improvements to the ADIF standards, then I would suggest you
propose (and justify!) a new standard (ADIF 3.x?) based on XML.
I'm sure the software folks at ARRL/LotW could direct you to
any ADIF working groups.

You will need show a significant return on investment to convince
all the software writers to abandon the xBase derived ADIF standards
and undertake the coding necessary to implement a new interface spec.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK