RE: [CQ-Contest] awesome upgrades to the 8 band vertical!!

To: "'cq-contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] awesome upgrades to the 8 band vertical!!
From: "Tim Jones" <k9nx@insightbb.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:02:49 -0500
I had a Icom HF rig for a while, the tuners in most of the Icom rigs are
rated for a SWR of 3:1 or less,  If I remember correctly this is written
briefly in the owners manual. I had a vertical cut for the low end of 80
meters tried a QSO in the Novice band to answer a CQ and I lost a couple of
caps in the tuner then I had to send it back for repair Icom fixed it under
warranty I was lucky. Maybe look at an external tuner to use with the rig,
it seems like the internal tuners from Icom are not rated for much more than
a little mismatch.  Just trying to save someone the problems I already went
thru.

K9NX
Jonesy