Re: [CQ-Contest] RF and wireless mice?

To: w2up@mindspring.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RF and wireless mice?
From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 18:01:06 -0600
\
As our cat has chewed through my kids' computer's mouse cord for the
third time, I'm contemplating getting a wireless mouse.  Looking at
the specs of the Microsoft wireless mouse, it runs on 27 MHz.

A bit more expensive, but you can now buy Bluetooth mice. I have the Microsoft optical Bluetooth mouse hooked up to my iBook, and it works
okay. It's a bit aggressive about dropping the Bluetooth session when the mouse is idle, causing a slight delay when you next wake the mouse up. (This problem might be specific to MacOS X. I don't run Windows so I have no way to compare the behaviour between the two.) It also eats batteries at a surprising rate. Buy a couple of pairs of NiMH cells, and keep the second pair charged. When the batteries start to die the mouse lags horribly.

On a positive note, the mouse has a lot of mass. I find that makes it quite easy to control. Your mileage may vary.

I can also recommend Bluetooth keyboards. Getting those wires off your work surface is a wonderful thing.

--lyndon