[CQ-Contest] Compressed Air Antenna Launcher

To: k5lxp@qsl.net
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Compressed Air Antenna Launcher
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:16:40 -0400
Mark,

I read with great interest your compressed air antenna launcher.  It is
certainly ingenous, and you are to be congratulated for inventing it.

I would like, however, to point out the danger in using it without adequate
face and hand protection.  Here is the reason.  I have used a home brew
slingshot line launcher with an open faced fishing reel.  In high wind
conditions, the fishing line will blow off the face of the reel and, when
launched, the line can easily snag causing the weight to snap back and hit the
sender.  On two occasions, I had this happen and both times the weight hit my
left hand that was holding the sling shot.  The last time it happened, it broke
the bone in my ring finger.  This happened three years ago, and the finger
still hurts when it rains!

Here is my solution:  1.) I never use the method without a leather glove on the
left hand and a full face shield (kind used by woodworkers), and 2.)  I changed
to a closed face reel which is much less prone to line snags.

When I saw the photo on your web site with you using your launcher without face
and hand protection, and an open faced reel, it sent a chill down my back!

Thought you needed to know.

73, George, K5KG