Re: Fw: [CQ-Contest] stubs

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: [CQ-Contest] stubs
From: "KEN SILVERMAN" <k2kw@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:22:55 -0000
>You can get close with this method,  If your really picky  an antenna
>analyzer can be used to fine tune it.

If you have access to a network or antenna analyzer, it will pay off.  Stubs
are actually much narrower than people think.  On 14 MHz using RG8/RG213, if
you cut a stub for the CW portion of the band, you loose about 12 dB of
notch rejection in the SSB portion of the band.  When you start off with
about 28 dB of rejection, that's loosing a LOT!

If most of the FD group will operate on SSB, it's worth tuning the stubs for
that part of the band.

When I was building stubs for N6RO about 10 years ago, I built a pair of
stubs on each band (see K1TTT's webpage analysis).  I actually "stagger
tuned" each stub in the pair:  1 was tuned for CW, the other was tuned for
SSB.  With 1/4 wavelength spacing between the stubs, the result was a near
flat attentuation response curve (~56 dB using RG8 foam) from the top to
bottom of the band.

Kenny K2KW