Re: [CQ-Contest] 75 to 50 ohm balun

To: k1ttt@arrl.net, "Grillo's" <ah3c@frii.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 75 to 50 ohm balun
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 00:23:31 -0400
Up until a few years ago, I would have offered the same advice. However, a couple of caveats:

- Make sure you avoid lengths that are odd multiples of 1/2 wavelength. This causes the line to act like a "Q" section and can make the impedance seen on the input up to 100 ohms and a 2:1 SWR. I saw this on my 80M four-square fed with ~ 270' (5/4 wavelength) of CATV hardline. SWR at the antenna was flat (as expected with a ComTek box). However, in the shack it was 1:1 @ 3800 and 2:1 @ 3500. I put an Amidon 50:75 un-un at each end and now it's 1:1 flat in the shack too at both frequencies.

- The "cut to 1/2 wavelength" trick works for moderate feedline lengths of a couple half wavelengths or so. My friend W8MJ did this on a long run of CATV hardline to a TH6 on his back tower; I would guess maybe 350'. On 10M this is something like 27 half-wavelengths and his SWR bandwidth was VERY narrow. Again, some 50:75 transformers made the problem go away.

Here at K8CC, the entire station is built around 75 ohm CATV hardline. I have used the "asynchronous transformer" (the design using 1/12 wavelength coax lengths) on all my antennas. These are monoband antennas tuned to 75 ohms, then I use an asynch in the shack. These have been inplace since 1986 with no SWR issues and no failures. With multi-band antennas, the Amidon 50:75 un-uns work well.

Dave/K8CC