[CQ-Contest] FYI: CQ, Buckmaster,Introduce Searchable Online CQ Archive

To: Yankee Clipper Contest Club <yccc@yccc.org>,CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] FYI: CQ, Buckmaster,Introduce Searchable Online CQ Archive
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:38:43 -0400
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:35:14 -0400
To: cq-l@sunserver.com
From: CQ.Communications@unix2.sunserver.com

News from CQ....

CQ, Buckmaster Introduce Searchable Online CQ Magazine Archive

(Hicksville, NY / Mineral, VA, June 15, 2004) - CQ Communications, Inc. of Hicksville, New York, publisher of CQ Amateur Radio magazine, and Buckmaster Publishing of Mineral, Virginia, jointly announce plans to create a searchable online archive of CQ magazine back issues, eventually dating back to the magazine's first issue in January 1945. A beta test version covering 1990-2002 is already online.

Buckmaster, which produces the "Hamcall" CD and website, and has for decades filmed back issues of CQ onto microfiche for use by researchers and hobbyists alike, currently uses advanced scanning and searching technology for online posting of documents for major corporations. This technology will be applied to back issues of CQ, under an agreement announced today by CQ Publisher Dick Ross, K2MGA, and Buckmaster President Jack Speer, N1BIC. As currently envisioned, searches will be free, while access to reading and printing specific pages will require a subscription at a nominal fee.

"In addition to very high quality scans of each page of each issue," said Speer, "we use optical character recognition (OCR) to automatically index each word in each article. Our search engine, which is too complex to be included on a CD-ROM, will identify each article containing the search term(s). The indexing of every word eliminates the restriction of most indexes and search engines that are limited to looking for key words that have been manually assigned or indexed."

Speaking for CQ, Ross said, "Our readers have been asking us for several years about putting back issues of CQ onto CD-ROMs, but frankly, we have been unhappy with the limitations of the search engines that we're able to put onto a CD. If the indexer hasn't chosen to include the word you're looking for in the index, then you're out of luck."

"This system allows our readers to have access to a much more powerful search engine than we could provide on a CD," Ross continued, "plus they don't have to purchase entire CD sets of multiple back issues in order to get access to one or two articles. This system will allow readers to pay only for what they want, then download the article using their browser to view or print at home. We believe this will provide our readers with a better archive service at a lower cost than creating back-issue CDs or arranging many feet of shelving for housing printed copies of the magazine."

Speer says he plans to bring the CQ back issues online in 10-year blocks, beginning with 2004-1990, which he expects to be available immediately.
Initial subscription pricing is as follows:
* Searching and access to the first five pages of each issue: Free
* 1 month: $10
* 3 months: $15
* 6 months: $25
* 12 months: $45
* Lifetime: $500
Views are limited to 100 pages per day, and the 24 most recent issues are available only to CQ staff.

The archive may be accessed at: http://hamcall.net/cgi-bin/cqcgi.

CQ Communications, Inc. publishes CQ Amateur Radio, CQ RadioAmateur (Spanish CQ), CQ VHF and Popular Communications magazines, plus the CQ Library of books, videos and CDs. It is headquartered in Hicksville, New York.

Buckmaster Publishing is a leading archiving and retrieval service based in Mineral, Virginia. In the amateur radio world, it is best-known for archiving all major ham magazines onto microfiche, and as the publisher of the "Hamcall" amateur radio international callsign lookup CD and web site.

-30-