RE: [CQ-Contest] Boundaries Between ITU Zones 6/7/8

To: "'Nat Heatwole'" <nat@ajheatwole.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Boundaries Between ITU Zones 6/7/8
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 08:58:55 -0400
Nat,

> For the first time in years, I will be doing a full effort in
> this weekend's coming IARU contest and for the first time ever,
> I will be doing it from a simi-competative station. One thing
> that I've always wondered about IARU is how one is to tell
> whether a U.S. station is in ITU zone 6, 7, or 8. Sure, W6
> is clearly zone 6 and Florida is clearly zone 8, but where
> exactly are the boundaries between the zones? From the map
> that I have, the boundaries are for the most part vertical.
> In that case, are they scaled to the Maidenhand grid squares?
> And if so, which grids are in each zone?

The sources are contradictory on this .. ARRL publishes one
set of data here: http://www.arrl.org/contests/vev0vy.html#wkna.
Until recently, IARU Region 2 had another map on the web that
showed the boundary between 6 & 7 following state lines and
the boundary between 7 & 8 following the Mississippi River.

I don't know of any information from the FCC on this (they can
modify the boundaries for domestic regulatory purposes).

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK