[CQ-Contest] Re: Recruiting women into contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Recruiting women into contesting
From: Corliss Kimmel <al1g_ak@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:54:14 -0700 (PDT)
I was naturally drawn to contesting in that I am not much of a rag chewer.  I
always enjoyed the fast paced, "exchange reports and move on" type of operating
more than getting into long QSOs.  That is my personality type. I'm not much of
a big talker in person either!

I started with a Kenwood TS-870 barefoot and an R-7 vertical and practiced
learning how to contest.  I would read about upcoming contests, find out what
the report was and then get on the air during the contest.

 What really got me going to a higher level was being invited to contest at a
"big gun" station (thank you Dan, KL7Y, R.I.P.).  Suddenly I was there in the
middle of the multi/multi action with very experienced operators.  It was
awesome!  I learned a great deal about contesting from that experience, and was
later pleased to be invited back again.

Corliss - AL1G