[CQ-Contest] USFWL NWR Denials To Amateur Radio

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] USFWL NWR Denials To Amateur Radio
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 01:40:00 -0700
*NOTE: This is of critical importance to CONTEST-Peditioners, DX-Peditioners & IOTA-Xpeditioners *** (All others may wish to hit the delete key now) ***

There has been an alarming number of "denials" by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife (USFWL a/k/a FWS) Agency via their National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) Managers for access permission requests from Amateur Radio operators for CONTEST-Peditions, DX-Peditions and IOTA-Xpeditions. One generic reason stated appears to be for alleged "incompatible use", but without factual substantiating evidence by the NWR Managers.

NWR areas include not only Navassa & Desecho Islands, but Islands in the Pacific desirable for similar Amateur Radio CONTEST-Pedition, DX-Pedition & IOTA-Xpedition purposes. My specific battle-in-process involves access permission for The Farallon Islands (IOTA NA-178) which is less than 2 hours from where I live.

I've had numerous discussion with the Staff Director of the Sub-Committee within the U.S. House of Representatives' "Committee On Resources" regarding this general problem, and believe an opportunity exists to help see some desperately needed changes result to the benefit of the Amateur Radio Community. The Committee on Resources oversees activities of the Department of Interior (DOI) and the USFWL, and they are aware of the unacceptable "problem" with USFWL denials for access in various NWRs.

A major meeting took place in Washington, D.C. on 9/14/04 between bi-partisan sub-committee personnel and high ranking officials from the USFWL. The USFWL has clearly been making decisions out-of-harmony with the intent of both the National Wildlife Refuge Administration Act of 1966 and the National Wildlife Refuge System Improvement Act of 1997. IMHO, the USFWL is finally going to (deservingly) get "hammered". But more factual documentation from the Amateur Radio community will be of critical importance as the plot thickens. A second follow-up meeting will take place in a week or two.

Further, I just filed "Comments" in a USFWL matter involving "Special Use Permit Applications for Wildlife Areas Outside Alaska". This information will also go to the OMB, and both the House and Senate Sub-Committees have received copies, additionally highlighting the problem.

PLEASE...if you have ever been denied access permission for a CONTEST-Pedition (or any other Ham Radio purposes) by ANY Manager of an NWR, I need this info ASAP to include as supplementary facts for the sub-committee. Hopefully, our efforts will inure to the benefit of the Amateur Radio community as a whole.

"Time is of the Essence" in gathering and consolidating these additional facts prior to the next high-level meeting, as well as for additional comments to the USFWL Division of Policy and Directives Management and any other venue which may help effecutate a resolution of the access blockage to Amateur Radio.

If you haven't experienced this problem personally, but know anyone (individual or group) who has, PLEASE pass this info along to them ASAP with a request for immediate action (Contest Clubs, DX Clubs,
etc., etc.).

For specific information on what is needed and were to send it, please see:

http://www.k6vva.com/usfwl

Tnx very much for your QRQ assistance.

73 & "Good luck in the contest, OM!"

Rick ("Locust") Hilding, K6VVA
* Co-Founder, Northern California Contest Club