[CQ-Contest] Two Radio Sprint QSOs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Two Radio Sprint QSOs
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:10:46 -0500
Well, I guess enough people are playing with two radios in the CW Sprint
that some clarifications of the intent of the rules will likely be
necessary.

First - here is the rule:

Special QSY Rule: If any station solicits a call (by sending CQ, QRZ?,
"going up 5 kHz," or any other means of soliciting a response, including
completion of a QSO where the frequency was inherited), they are permitted
to work only one station in response to that solicitation. They must
thereafter move at least 1 kHz before calling another station, or at least
5 kHz before soliciting other calls. Once a station is required to QSY,
that station is not allowed to make another QSO on the vacated frequency
until or unless at least one subsequent QSO is made on a new frequency.

So, let's say you called CQ on 14035 and worked W1AW.  After that QSO
is completed, you call CQ on 7035 and N6TR comes back.

At least one logging program that I am familar with will allow you to
call CQ on the other band BEFORE your QSO with N6TR is complete.  This
could be done while you are receiving the exchange from N6TR.

I think this is an important point.  You can't call CQ on 14035 before
your QSO with N6TR is "made".  I don't feel that you have "made" that QSO
until both exchanges are received and acknowledged.

Since you haven't completed a QSO on 7035 before calling CQ, I feel that
you must QSY at least 5 kHz before you can launch a CQ on 20 meters (again,
assumming you have the ability to send this CQ before the QSO is completed).
Even if you have finished it, it is more than likely that you should QSY off
of 14035 since it will probably be in use.

Therefore, I will typically QSY up around 14060, or down around 14025 to
find a clear frequency to launch my CQ on.

There are those who feel that all of the CQing without the S&P element isn't
how the sprint was supposed to be.  The founding fathers of the contest
some 25+ years ago surely did not anticipate the available technology
and creativity of those determined to create new QSO records.  So far,
the documentation of the number of band changes made during the contest has
been the only step taken to distinguish between the two radio and single
radio guys.  The top ten from the most recent event will have one station
with only 6 band changes and another with 12.  However, it also has 7
stations with > 100 band changes during a 4 hour event.

About the only way I can think of to change back to something more close
to the "old way it was done" would be to distinguish S&P and CQ QSOs, and
require them to be in balance at the end of the contest.  Not sure we are
ready for that just yet.

Tree