Re: [CQ-Contest] Sloper tuning

To: marco.spalluzzi@orobiacom.it
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sloper tuning
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:14:42 -0400

On Oct 25, 2004, at 10:07 AM, Marco Spalluzzi wrote:

1) Technically speaking, is it better (and right) operate with the quad
still connected, or not?

Whatever works OK should be fine. Leave it connected.

Half of the antenna in a 1/4 wave sloper is the support tower -- including any antennas attached to it. You'll likely notice some SWR variation as you turn the antenna.

It shouldn't matter terribly.

3) Will the feeding quad pick up some rf, that could cause trouble in the
shack?

Possibly, if you are running high power. I have a 40m sloper at 12 meters on my 15m high tower. I use a current balun at the sloper feed, which helps eliminate some of the RF currents in the shack -- but I still get some from the other feedlines. Since I only run 100 watts, it hasn't been a problem.

4) So, if it were you, will you first tune (and then operate) the sloper
with the quad connected or not?

I'd leave it connected to the switch, tune it up and not worry about it.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901