[CQ-Contest] "QRZ?" versus "W4ZV"

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] "QRZ?" versus "W4ZV"
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:33:18 -0500
        Have you ever wondered what you sounded like from the DX side?
Listen to Zoli HA5PP's recording near the peak of my EU opening on 10
meters Saturday (30 OCT 2004).

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/topband_sounds.htm (also log and rates)

        For all the hotshots that seldom give their calls, note how simple
it is to simply sign your call instead of a "QRZ?".  Signing only "QRZ?"
inevitably results in a "What's your call?" which covers stations calling.
My 1350z minute completed  5 QSO's (rate of 300/hour) and yet I still had
time to sign my call 4 times in this 65 second recording.  Note "W4ZV"
has 6 syllables (max) versus 3 for QRZ, which results in 15 more syllables
in this short recording.  It's actually less since I normally say "dub"or "dub-
ya" for W.  If you have just ONE person covering up a call or exchange
with a "What's your call?", I think you've lost whatever advantage you had
by saving those few extra syllables.

        If someone would PLEASE translate this into Spanish, it would be
much appreciated.  It's especially a problem with South Americans, many
of whom share the same call sign, i.e. "QRZ?"  I always hate S&P to the
south for this very reason, and hope someone will try to break the "QRZ?"
norm most of them seem to follow.  The same may be true for Europe
but I'm normally running then and don't know if it's as bad as for SA.

Great fun on 10 meters this weekend...thanks to all!

73, Bill W4ZV