[CQ-Contest] SSorry de VY1JA

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SSorry de VY1JA
From: "J. Allen" <vy1ja@northwestel.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:10:48 +0000
During SS I found myself causing QRM to others, and apologize for any trouble it may have caused. My station, over the past three years, has had increasing power line noise.

It is real effort to dig the signals out of the noise here.
Remember that I have two power lines, one at 35,000 volts and the other at
138,000 volts, right across the east and south side of my property. I have
a large background noise level which rises in the morning and then
throughout the day with peaks for breakfast, lunch and supper power system
typical of loose-hardware noise. It also generates extreme noise whenever
there is moisture in the air, which is typical of cracked or dirty
insulators. It is often 59, and was for a number of periods during this CWSS.

If I cannot hear you, please allow for the power line noise and the station
location. Weak signals are worked at, until it is apparent that the QSO will
not work.

Thank you to those who mentioned that I was causing QRM to someone, so that I could correct it.

The power company has apologized, but says that maintenance money is tight
and it will be at least spring before they will do maintenance on the line. For now,
I am stuck with it, unless I can identify specific pole hardware or
insulators that cause most of the noise, and I need help with that. I need
to find an expert on tracing power line noise to the source.

The good news is that Bob, VY1MB, is not bothered by noise like this, and
has just ordered a new amp which should be in the shack for SS Phone, and
we have VY1CQ,  VY1YT and others who will be in SS phone as well.  My
noise will not keep you from a sweep.  I may go into SS Phone as QRP so that
my signal matches my ability to receive.

I was told that my keying was defective and asked several ops about it and was told it was fine and late in the contest I was told that it was bad again, and had to switch rigs. Please give me honest reports if my signal is less than it should be.

I appreciate all the good feedback during the contests and the words TNX SWEEP are the best to hear.

Thanks,

J.
vy1ja at arrl.net