Re: [CQ-Contest] Operator error

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operator error
From: Steve Root <steve.root@culligan4water.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:22:53 +0000
Hi Kelly,

I agree with what you said, except I can envision a set of circumstances
where the log checker wouldn't be able to tell who was the one making the
error.

Let's say VE4XT is calling CQ Contest, and I send "K0HR" instead of K0SR.
You heard and reply to K0HR with an exchange.  I make no attempt to correct
my call and send you an exchange back.  We both log the QSO.  My log says
K0SR worked VE4XT at some specific time, and your log says you worked K0HR
at the same time.  Obviously there was an error there and somebody is likely
to be penalized for it.

In the above example you shouldn't be penalized since you copied exactly
what was sent to you.  I should certainly be the one penalized because I
actually made two mistakes: sending my call wrong in the first place, and
then making no attempt to correct it if it came back "wrong".

I'm not sure what the log checkers would do in this case, take the Q from
both logs?

73 Steve K0SR