RE: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheerleaders

To: <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>,"'CQ-Contest'" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheerleaders
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:11:09 -0000
> > Only someone who has never used packet would buy into this idea.
Sunday
> > afternoon packet is used mostly to find new qso's not multipliers
for
> > which you need the full calls.
> >

> Thank you, David, for so clearly making my point.  Packet in contests
> seems
> to be a crutch for those who are not Radiomen enough to find their own
> Q's.

Obviously since you don't use or know about packet you have no idea that
in order to make a spot a station has to tune them in and type in the
call.  So for every spot that goes out someone has copied the call and
checked it against their log and either worked it or decided to spot it
or both.  It would be rather boring if everyone just respotted stuff
that was already on the screen, wouldn't it??  In fact it takes a better
operator to make good use of packet while also contributing spots to the
network, anyone can just tune up and down the band and work stuff.  it
takes real coordination to cq and still work spots in between answering
stations that call you.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net