Re: [CQ-Contest] memory keyers

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] memory keyers
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:17:39 -0500

On Nov 11, 2004, at 7:19 AM, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
I have never been a fan of different voices for the CQ machine and the op.
As I S/P around, I occasionally hear that scenario. I don't think it
optimizes numbers of QSO's. Generally, it leads to too many pauses as the operator
digests what is going on....especially in crowded band conditions. Pauses
lead to lower rates.

I never said it was optimal, but Mike was too busy to take the time to re-program the memory.

In the few M/S from my place we have always used the voice of the op whose
butt is in the chair. The way I have my DVK rigged up, it is possible to
program it while actually transmitting the new programming taking place.

Unfortunately, with the MFJ keyer we used at NQ4I's 10m position, it wasn't possible to do that. You had to go offline to reprogram the memories.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901