[CQ-Contest] 6 Total Newbies & 4 Novices set to terrorize SS SSBparticip

To: CQ-Contest <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 6 Total Newbies & 4 Novices set to terrorize SS SSBparticipants as M/S at VE7FO
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:29:19 -0800
You may remember that I unleashed 11 total newbie, no-ticket ops in CQ WW SSB. Well, 4 of them are coming back at the novice contester level and they must have talked a lot about how much fun they had in WW as 6 other licence class participants signed up as newbies for SS.

The newbies will get exactly the same instruction as the WW newbies got while the novices will actually start getting into it in a way that will, I hope, get the rate up a bit.

When a novice arrives he will, as before, spend one hour at the spotting position. However, this time he'll be expected to generate a significant number of spots for the run op. If I can get everything set up in time, he'll also be picking spots off the cluster, checking to see if they are audible here, and passing those along as well.

After his hour of spotting he moves to the Run position. This time, instead of just S&P, he'll be coached on running, as well as working spots from the bandmap and returning to the run frequency. This will be a challenge as they don't know the phonetic alphabet well. I did provide them with stuff they could use to practise logging and using phonetics but I doubt that many will have had the time to do it. However, the Run coach will decode the phonetics for them so they can complete the Q without too much fumbling.

It'll be interesting to see how they meet the challenge of the SS exchange. I'll introduce the exchange to them by pulling out an old ARRL Radiogram pad, running them through the header and showing how the SS exchange relates to emergency comm operator training.

So, if you run across one of my newbies or novices, please be patient. If you want to say something like, "Welcome to ham radio from (name of state or prov), it's a lot of fun." That would be really great.

Maybe my guy who, making the first ever Q in his life, yelled "Italy!!! Holy sh..!!" will be a little calmer this time.

We'll be using the call VE7FO.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO