[CQ-Contest] RE: Phone Phollies

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: Phone Phollies
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:17:31 -0800
Ward, N0AX admonished against:

> 4) Using digital numbers.
> It...sounds...like...a...bad...phone...menu...system.  Don't do it.  Just
> use DVK for CQs and the stuff that doesn't change.

Due to a throat infection, using digital EVERYTHING was the ONLY way I could work the phone contest on Saturday. I had over-trimmed many of my test pre-recorded files, and unfortunately was unable to pre-record the intended batch of fullcallsign.wav AND fullserialnumber.wav files. Once that task is done before next year's SS, you simply will not be able to tell it's automation...except for a small percentage of non-regular SS entrants.

Thankfully, not speaking at all on Saturday and the continued work of the antibiotics let me work 10 hours of SS as "Norway SIX Indiana Jones" on Sunday ... my automation stuff crapped out and I forced myself to go "live" rather than wimp out. Amazingly, my voice held up...in spite of probably 10,000 "CQ Contests" with NO DVK or .wav files. That was a b*tch ;-(

However, I did work a couple of others who used auto...serial...number...files...but they were slower with more spacing and actually sounded decent compared to my overly-tightened ones (ran out of time to fix the test files before the contest).

73...

Rick, K6VVA