Re: [CQ-Contest] SS Rules

To: "John Geiger" <johngeig@yahoo.com>,"Doug Smith W9WI" <w9wi@earthlink.net>,"cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS Rules
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:09:01 -0600
I was a guest at VE6JY this weekend, and he has resident in his TR directory
a database.

I noticed several times where the rx'd information differed from what was in
the database. No big deal, you just change it on the exchange line and move
on. Either the data used to create the database was faulty (possible,
considering it is generated from previous contests) or the fellow moved
(like NE0P -- at least he didn't move from a semi-rare section to, say, NTX)
or there was a different operator in the chair using a different check.

Another indication that you have to copy what was sent (possibly self-edit
so it makes sense) and log it, not what was in the database. If others lose
Qs because they were too dependent on the database, that's just another way
for good ops to win. Who can argue?

That some people are getting their 9913 in a knot over what people choose to
send as a check suggests a review of RF Exposure Guidelines might be in
order for some. It hardly seems important enough as long as the choice bears
some resemblance to the rules, which are open to interpretation.

When I've guest opped, I've used the host's check, but I also have no
quarrell with the viewpoint that it could also be the actual operator's
check that's sent (multiops are a different beast).

If we accept that part of this is a test of our ability to copy what was
sent, we should have no problem with checks that don't match what's in our
database, should we?

73, kelly
ve4xt