[CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 23, Issue 62

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 23, Issue 62
From: "Walter O'Brien, W2WJO" <w2wjo@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:28:44 -0500

John,

I'm a long-time die-hard Mac user - I use MacLoggerDX for everyday DX'ing
and archiving, and for casual contests I stick with that. It has built in
radio control, voice and cw keying, the web site and manual explains it all.
It is the "swiss army knife of logging software." www.dogparksoftware.com

BUT for the serious contests I use the N3FJP Windows contesting software
(www.n3fjp.com) with separate modules, most costing about 6 bucks! Unlike
nearly every famous Windows contest package I tried, N3FJP's software runs
smooth and fast and flawlessly on a Mac running Virtual PC 6 - VPC 7 has
just come out and promises to be faster and smoother, but my upgrade hasn't
arrived yet.

And you don't need to download and keep track of half a dozen files with
different version numbers - whatever you need in a contest comes in that one
file!

There's nothing better for graphics and general use than a Mac, especially
since Mac OS X (keep your flames, I use both and I KNOW the differences!!
;-> ). I'd go back to an abacus before I switched to Windows full time.

HAVING SAID THAT, for ease of use with N3FJP and a whole load of non-Mac ham
stuff and rare compatibility issues (I'm VP of our ham club and they use
Windows ACCESS for database) I bought a Compaq Presario laptop and use a $4
data switch to switch between radios (Ft-897/Ft-1000) and the Mac and PC.

But if you can only have one - go Mac and Virtual PC - get MacLoggerDX for
every day and N3FJP for contests.. All IMHO of course.

73, Walter W2WJO