Re: [CQ-Contest] Chiming in -- SO2R

To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>,"Leigh S. Jones" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Chiming in -- SO2R
From: "K0HB " <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:06:33 -00
> Vilified?  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I respect SO2R
> operators for their skill and dedication to contesting.  The only area
> of disagreement I have is that I believe it is such an advantage it
> should have a separate category, much like HP is separate from LP.
> Then people can choose the style of operating they prefer, knowing
> they are competing against like-equipped stations.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, Bill.

I feel that if someone develops a skill, a station configuration, or a
technical wrinkle which advantages them over lesser prepared participants,
then that hard-won advantage should not be "neutralized away" by a rule
change.  Competition is all about keeping up with the competition, after
all.

"Starting even at 0000Z on Friday evening" is a myth --- radiosport
competition begins long before you plunk your butt down in the chair at
2359Z.

73, de Hans, K0HB