[CQ-Contest] Re: Contest Metrics

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Contest Metrics
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:48:59 +0000
At 13:18 2004-12-02, Steve, KB3KAQ, wrote:
>my local barometer is W3LL, but he doesn't know it.  in the last few contests
>i have worked, i have used his score as an incentive to increase my skills and
>signal.

Some of the old-timers on here may recall that decades ago, when I (K2KIR then)
was a teenager, W2FEB was my in-section "barometer" for domestic contests.  My
Heathkit DX-40 and "newbie" operating skills were seldom a match for Keith's
200-400 watts, seasoned techniques, and knowledge of propagation, but I had a
ton of fun even when I "lost".

Steve also wrote:
>and for the record, FD not only sparked my interest in ham radio, but also
>contesting.  without it, i would not be the diehard contester i am today.
>actually, i just showed up for the food.

Which again reinforces the importance of "feeder" activities to provide "new
blood" for tomorrow's operating events.  Note, however, that feeder activities
don't have to be contests.  The path to contesting for many when I was a
"newbie" was through traffic handling, or emergency communications, or OOing,
or Official Bulletin Station transmitting, etc., via the very fraternal ARRL
Communications Department "CD Parties".  I am a contester today because my
former Novice class instructor guided me along the path of casual traffic
handler to regular member of my section net, to an ORS appointment, and
ultimately suggested I "might enjoy dabbling in" a CD Party to say "hi" to my
counterpart appointees across the USA and Canada.  From chasing W2FEB in CD
Parties it was an easy step to chasing him and others in Sweepstakes.  How many
new contesters are we missing today because we no longer have those kinds of
cross-connections that cleverly bring people with diverse (non-contest)
interests to the brink of a contest opportunity?

Bud, W2RU