[CQ-Contest] Urban noise levels

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, dx-list@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Urban noise levels
From: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:47:57 -0800 (PST)
I am wondering what I should expect as "normal" for a
noise level in todays world.  Here is my situtation:
I live in a 1942 built neighborhood, with houses 10
feet or so between each one, and a 120 foot long lot.
Power lines running behind the property.  My radio is
an Icom 756 (non pro) and antennas are a 2 element
mini quad and a G5RV type dipole.

WIth the rig's preamp off I generally see a S3 to S4
noise level on 80 and 40 meters.  Putting the narrow
CW filter in line cuts down on this greatly.  On 20
and higher the noise level is very low with the preamp
off, but when the preamp 1 is on, I see anywhere from
a very slight increase at times to almost an S4 level,
with the latter especially occurring on 15 meters.
Again, putting the CW filter in line really drops the
noise level.  I am not sure how sensitive the rig is
with the preamp off, but it doesn't seem too deaf
(unlike the 706 original I also have).

Are these levels fairly normal in todays urban living
areas, or do I need to really start looking around for
noise sources?  The power company has been out here
before and really couldn't find anything specific.
Things were a little quieter a few weeks ago when it
was raining all of the time.  There is also a very
busy city street about 4 blocks to the north of me.

73s John NE0P