Re: [CQ-Contest] now-whats diff between TS-950S Digital andTS-950SDX??

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] now-whats diff between TS-950S Digital andTS-950SDX??
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:40:14 -0500
The TS-950S Digital was reviewed in QST for January 1991, p.31 (there called the TS-950SD), while the TS-950SDX was reviewed in December 1992, p. 72. Both reviews were reprinted in the ARRL Radio Buyer's Sourcebook Volume 2, which I happen to have in front of me.

Differences between the 950S Digital and the 950S: DSP module came standard, temperature-compensated xtal reference oscillator (TCXO), and four IF filters that were optional in the 950S. Basically this looks the same as the 950S with some options made standard.

Differences between the 950SDX and the 950S Digital as listed in the review: a new front panel, new operating software, a direct digital synthesizer, a fine tuning control, an auto position for AGC, improved memory keyer, improved second receiver (with a CW filter), improved DSP (particularly notable on receive), Quick Memo function, a display dimmer, and menu-configurable IF-filter choices by mode. Attenuator positions are 6/12/18 instead of 10/20/30 dB. The SDX used FET finals instead of bipolar finals. Top hatch controls on the 950S moved to the front panel on the SDX, while some controls formerly on the 950S front panel were moved into the menu system. I have probably missed or misrepresented some changes in this quick scan of the review, but I hope this gives some idea.

The reviewer (NJ2L in both cases) said that the 950SDX is so different from the earlier models that he was surprised they didn't give it a new number. To quote from the review: "A physical upgrade is practically impossible; the new '950 is a completely different radio in most respects."

73,
Rich VE3IAY

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.289 / Virus Database: 265.4.5 - Release Date: 03/12/2004