Re: [CQ-Contest] More contesting tips and tricks

To: "Doug Smith W9WI" <w9wi@earthlink.net>,"CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] More contesting tips and tricks
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:32:12 -0600
As much as I agree with the defensive measures suggested by Doug and Scott
and do not dispute using them, I wonder:

In football, an intercepted pass is considered a defensive coup. In soccer,
a steal is good. In hockey, denying the puck-carrying player a certain part
of the ice, or blocking, is sound defensive play. In basketball, an opponent
can knock the ball from my hands run to the other end and score and it's
considered fair.

Having been pushed off frequencies by a number of stations bigger and louder
than I, those who have plopped down next to me and won, how is this kind of
steal any different? (And I've still shared a friendly beer with these folk
at Dayton.)

And is not F1 warfare another kind of 'intentional QRM'? Aren't you trying
to make it so hard for him to hear that he moves?

I guess my point isn't to endorse or discredit any particular kind of
behaviour, but rather to suggest that in any competitive endeavour, stuff
happens. People win. People lose. It's your job to make sure you win.

Nobody 'owns' frequencies. At least, that's what we always tell the nets.
How can you 'steal' what nobody 'owns?'

Is not the loss of your run frequency one of the risks you accept as an SO2R
op? If you can jump back on the frequency and reclaim it, all the power to
you. But if you can't, perhaps it's not the other guy's fault. And I'm not
sure the value in making this stuff personal.

73, kelly
ve4xt