RE: [CQ-Contest] Contesting tips and tricks - not

To: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>,"Mike Fatchett, W0MU" <w0mu@w0mu.com>, "'Scott R.'" <w4pa@yahoo.com>,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Contesting tips and tricks - not
From: asciibaron@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:40:45 +0000
> So the second I quit calling CQ someone else can open
> up with a CQ on that frequency because I am not
> transmitting?  How am I supposed to hear any replies?

how long does it take to hear a reply?  i have tried to get strong stations to
hear my weak signal between the almost 2 sec gaps of calling CQ.  i end up
marking them and hoping the band changes so they can hear me.

if you are waiting more than 5 seconds to put a signal out, then countless
numbers have just spun right past you, including the rare mult you missed last
year.

i have nothing against skilled use of SO2R by ops with a sense of fairplay.
being man/woman enough to concede the frequency if you are caught in a pileup
on the other radio is not only fair, it shows respect for all operators.

do you get the frequency back if you had to run to the bathroom for a minute to
answer nature's call?  then why should you expect it when you were answering a
call on the 2nd radio?

-steve
KB3KAQ