RE: [CQ-Contest] Thoughts on a technique

To: ke1fo@arrl.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Thoughts on a technique
From: "John WA2GO" <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:03:05 -0500
Knowledge is power. Anything you can learn and remember from past contests (at your station or at other stations in the same geographical area, if you can find people willing to share their old logs with you!) would be useful. Same disclaimer applies as on your investment statement: Past performance is no guarantee of future results. But it's a fairly decent indicator. Sure as heck better than operating blind every year and letting random luck run the show!

For example, if you worked your KL7 and VE8 at 2100z high in the band on 20M for three years out of four, then statistically speaking it's a good idea to check there at that time, or at least to be aware when it's 3PM that you might have a fruitful search if you start looking for them soon. Assembling more data will allow you to make more sophisticated predictions. For example, you notice (and remember) that you found KL7 on 20M in the "bad" sunspot years, but you found them on 15M in the "good" sunspot years. Sure, the conditions in any given year can be wacky, and your expectations will not come to fruition, and some strange things will happen (like working EU while beaming south on 10M this year.) So that's still good info - because as soon as you make 1 or 2 qso's that you consider 'abnormal', you know that you are experiencing abnormal conditions, and know to look for other similar 'abnormal' things to happen, and that your previously held expectations now are less likely to hold true. (Until when and if you notice that conditions return to "normal".)

The example was for Sweepstakes, but the same goes for knowing when and where to look for VK/ZL, JT1, 9M8, DS2, ZS6, 3B8, TF3, etc. etc. I always know to turn the beam a certain way during a certain brief window of the day to get answers from a certain set of countries, and yet am consistently amazed (and smug) when I turn the beam that way and put out some cq's and they start calling. I know that if I didn't know to do that, I would have NEVER worked those mults.

73 & happy holidays,

John
WA2GO