Re: [CQ-Contest] /QRP

To: "Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] /QRP
From: "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:44:26 -0600

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:55:25 -0200 "PY2NY - Vitor" <py2ny@arrl.net> wrote:
Fast and quick...
Used QRP to call stations at ARRL 10m
last week end. With some guys, was the
only way to be listened and worked.

Vitor,

I was QRP and never used and never will use /QRP with my (or any other) callsign. 99 percent of the stations you call will either hear and work you or not hear you at all. Only two stations blew me off because they could not copy me well enough. I found them a few minutes later, called and worked them with no problems.

Not everyone is going to copy you the first time, Vitor. Adding /QRP to your call doesn't increase your signal strength. In fact, I know of a couple of people who will ignore /QRP callers because they see them as saying "Oh, please work me...I'm QRP and weak and cannot get a QSO any other way...." Don't be in that group, Vitor. You are better than that.

Look at it this way, Vitor: You have a certain amount of time to operate in the contest. You should make the most of the time.

Let's look at 1 hour of operating time. That's 60 minutes or 3,600 seconds. Your callsign PY2NY takes 2 seconds to send. That means you could send your call almost 1,800 times in that 1 hour period. If you used PY2NY/QRP, that adds about another 1.5 seconds to your time. So, now you are at 3.5 seconds per call or being able to send your callsign only 1,000 times.

If I were you, I would not send the /QRP and so I could send my call 800 more times in that hour.

In short, /QRP is an anchor or brake doing nothing but slowing your rate.

73, dale, kg5u ARRL 10m: QRP CW - 417 QSO's